Anonymous review reply (Alibi ch. 1)
Nov. 20th, 2012 12:03 pmI wish people would leave a way to respond to a review if they're going to ask questions, but in case my anonymous reviewer looks here:
Thank you! Yes, I have FANTASTIC (and VERY PATIENT) betas! I'm very lucky.
No, the story is not going to be slash. I actually posted in the summary and in the authors notes at the beginning of the chapter that there would be no slash, and no romance. A gay man can have male friends without being attracted to them. Dash's sexual orientation is a parallel to Danny's secret and what it's like to have to hide part of who you are from the world out of fear. There is no sex in this story at all.
I always thought Dash was more well-rounded on the show than just the bully. Yes, he did a lot of horrible things and sometimes acted like an idiot, but we also saw him team up with Danny on several occasions. Similarly, I thought Paulina had more depth than just the "mean girl." I don't really like when either of them are portrayed as just mean or bullies in fics, because I think it misses the nuances Butch Hartman and the writing team on the show actually put into the characters. Also, the fact that Dash is so similar to Flash Thompson from Spider-Man is what made me think that Dash, like, Flash, would grow out of his bullying and end up friends with the hero after high school.
As for why he beat up Danny, he actually talks about that in my other fic, Ghosts in the Closet.
Thanks for reviewing!
me like so far:Doing good. Very clean writing(as usual, you must have good
beta's too) no confusion as to who's talking or who's POV it is. So is this
going to be slash? I'm a little confused. But I like the irony and how you
make Dash more human and intelligent. Not just some bully. It'd be kinda cool
if you snuck in there why you think he beat up on Danny. I found each writer
has a unique and cool spin on that. Anyways I look forward to more chapters!
Thank you! Yes, I have FANTASTIC (and VERY PATIENT) betas! I'm very lucky.
No, the story is not going to be slash. I actually posted in the summary and in the authors notes at the beginning of the chapter that there would be no slash, and no romance. A gay man can have male friends without being attracted to them. Dash's sexual orientation is a parallel to Danny's secret and what it's like to have to hide part of who you are from the world out of fear. There is no sex in this story at all.
I always thought Dash was more well-rounded on the show than just the bully. Yes, he did a lot of horrible things and sometimes acted like an idiot, but we also saw him team up with Danny on several occasions. Similarly, I thought Paulina had more depth than just the "mean girl." I don't really like when either of them are portrayed as just mean or bullies in fics, because I think it misses the nuances Butch Hartman and the writing team on the show actually put into the characters. Also, the fact that Dash is so similar to Flash Thompson from Spider-Man is what made me think that Dash, like, Flash, would grow out of his bullying and end up friends with the hero after high school.
As for why he beat up Danny, he actually talks about that in my other fic, Ghosts in the Closet.
Thanks for reviewing!